Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Maco. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
OoT 2D 2014 Trailer and a new theme!
Topic Started: Apr 1 2014, 01:01 PM (5,694 Views)
Flotonic
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I have been away from Maco for a while. This is because I have been working on a new project based around an old idea: OoT 2D. The map used for Kokiri Forest was made by MaJoRa and GodsTurf has been a major help with graphics and testing.

The OoT 2D website theme is now in place for Maco, but all of the Maconians who prefer the old theme can select "Maco Classic" at the bottom of any page!

I haven't forgotten about Izou Zelda, but this is a good time to say that it is on hold until I can afford to pay an additional programmer to help remake OoT's base engine, as it is too much work for one person and it cannot be continued as a rom edit. Keep posting ideas, as it is a project that I definitely plan to get back to making!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sylux102
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Flotonic
Apr 1 2014, 01:01 PM
I have been away from Maco for a while. This is because I have been working on a new project based around an old idea: OoT 2D. The map used for Kokiri Forest was made by MaJoRa and GodsTurf has been a major help with graphics and testing.

The OoT 2D website theme is now in place for Maco, but all of the Maconians who prefer the old theme can select "Maco Classic" at the bottom of any page!

I haven't forgotten about Izou Zelda, but this is a good time to say that it is on hold until I can afford to pay an additional programmer to help remake OoT's base engine, as it is too much work for one person and it cannot be continued as a rom edit. Keep posting ideas, as it is a project that I definitely plan to get back to making!
Looks great! Hope to see this soon
A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage.

JabuJabule
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Welcome back, Flotonic! :)

Your trailer looks great, as well as the new site theme. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers, old buddy!

Flotonic
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks! We have been working diligently! B-)

sylux102
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Flotonic
Apr 1 2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks! We have been working diligently! B-)
If thheres anything you need let me know. I may be able to submit something
A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage.

Flotonic
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks. B-) Here are some sprites that are needed.

SoulofDeity
Member Avatar
EPC4U
[ *  *  * ]
Looking great :)

Some suggestions though, try shifting the color of the enemies a bit to make them blink when you hit them, and add a deadzone box to the center of the screen where if Link is inside it, the camera won't move. It'll make it seem more like the camera is following Link rather than being attached to him.
Edited by SoulofDeity, Apr 12 2014, 03:33 PM.
Posted Image
[ Youtube Channel | Maco 64 Forums | Glitchkill Forums | The GCN ]

Flotonic
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks, and welcome back. B-)

Blinking will definitely be added for the Deku Baba. Can you elaborate more on how Link gets into and out of the deadzone?

SoulofDeity
Member Avatar
EPC4U
[ *  *  * ]
Flotonic
Apr 12 2014, 04:49 PM
Thanks, and welcome back. B-)

Blinking will definitely be added for the Deku Baba. Can you elaborate more on how Link gets into and out of the deadzone?

Suppose your viewport is 4 * 4 in size. Rather than following the player every step they take, you designate a deadzone of 2 * 2.

Code:

X X X X
X O O X
X L O X
X X X X

In the above diagram, Link is at L, O is part of the deadzone, and X is the live zone where the camera follows Link. If he takes one step right or up, the camera will not move at all. But if he takes one step left or down the camera will move.
Posted Image

Flotonic
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I see what you mean. When Link is at whatever edge of the box, move the camera with Link. If Link is within the box, do not move the camera. Good idea. B-)

SoulofDeity
Member Avatar
EPC4U
[ *  *  * ]
Flotonic
Apr 12 2014, 06:34 PM
I see what you mean. When Link is at whatever edge of the box, move the camera with Link. If Link is within the box, do not move the camera. Good idea. B-)

Another idea to expand off of this is an autofocus timeout. If the player hasn't moved in say, 5 seconds or so, ignore the deadzone and refocus on the player.

You could also use the deadzone to better implement Z-targeting. If the distance between the player and the object is less than or equal to the size of the dead zone, then it's targetable. When you first target it, the point between both the player and the camera will become the new camera target. Eg:

Code:

X X X X X
X O O T X
X O P O X
X L O O X
X X X X X

If L (Link) is targeting T (Target), then the camera will instead focus on P (Point) which is the center position between Link and the Target. But if either L or T exits the deadzone, the targeting is broken.
Edited by SoulofDeity, Apr 12 2014, 06:54 PM.
Posted Image

Flotonic
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
The timeout is another good idea. Thanks. B-) I will add the new camera code if I have enough motivation after programming all of the enemies and the like. Otherwise, it will be added in Version 1.5.

Z-Targeting may not be implemented for the sake of keeping things more ALttP-like. Good concept, though. B-)

SoulofDeity
Member Avatar
EPC4U
[ *  *  * ]
Flotonic
Apr 13 2014, 01:39 AM
The timeout is another good idea. Thanks. B-) I will add the new camera code if I have enough motivation after programming all of the enemies and the like. Otherwise, it will be added in Version 1.5.

Z-Targeting may not be implemented for the sake of keeping things more ALttP-like. Good concept, though. B-)
:(

Well, if you do decide to add targeting, another thing to keep in mind is that you should keep a list of the objects in the deadzone. Any time anything enters it, add it to the list, and if it's destroyed or exits the deadzone, remove it.

When the player presses 'Z' sort the list by distance from the player, then set the selected index to the next closest object. (if there was nothing selected before, it's set to 0. If it's 1, set it to 2, etc.)

This will ensure that if an enemy moves closer to Link then the currently targeted object, that it will be targeted next, or otherwise it would cycle through all the targetable objects.
Edited by SoulofDeity, Apr 13 2014, 04:41 AM.
Posted Image

GodsTurf
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
SoulofDeity
Apr 13 2014, 04:40 AM
Flotonic
Apr 13 2014, 01:39 AM

:(

Well, if you do decide to add targeting, another thing to keep in mind is that you should keep a list of the objects in the deadzone. Any time anything enters it, add it to the list, and if it's destroyed or exits the deadzone, remove it.

When the player presses 'Z' sort the list by distance from the player, then set the selected index to the next closest object. (if there was nothing selected before, it's set to 0. If it's 1, set it to 2, etc.)

This will ensure that if an enemy moves closer to Link then the currently targeted object, that it will be targeted next, or otherwise it would cycle through all the targetable objects.
If we were going to implement targeting, wouldn't we want to make the Z-Targeting action Z target whatever is closest in Link's field of view?

If you were actually playing, and you were surrounded by, let's say Redeads, even if one was gaining up on your back, if you try to target the player will expect to target the one in front of him.

Besides, some kinda field of view code will have to be implemented eventually in order for Gerudo's to work properly and all that jazz.

SoulofDeity
Member Avatar
EPC4U
[ *  *  * ]
GodsTurf
Apr 13 2014, 06:10 AM
If we were going to implement targeting, wouldn't we want to make the Z-Targeting action Z target whatever is closest in Link's field of view?

If you were actually playing, and you were surrounded by, let's say Redeads, even if one was gaining up on your back, if you try to target the player will expect to target the one in front of him.

Besides, some kinda field of view code will have to be implemented eventually in order for Gerudo's to work properly and all that jazz.
The process I just explained does that. Plus it allows you to cycle through the enemies by pressing Z again, and if a monster moves closer to Link than the currently targeted one, it will be prioritized to be the next target when you press Z.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · News · Next Topic »
Add Reply

As some of you may know, I have left the rom editing scene, never to return. I will be attending UNL. I will also be getting a job, so I will not have the time to run a community and make all of these projects.

I'm leaving you all in good hands. Sylux102, one of the best Maco staff members, will be carrying on in my stead. His forums are on Zelda64.net. Register there, since this website is archive only.

As for OoT 2D and Izou, I will be leaving those in the hands of GodsTurf's team, Lunar World. If you are fans of these projects, subscribe to them.